Did you know that the Friends of the LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library presented a check for $100,000 to the Library in January of this year? We were able to do that thanks to our generous sponsors and supporters of our fundraisers.
Please join us
2014 Author Event with Valerie Plame
Thursday, October 9th 7:30pm
Turnbull Conference Center located at
FSU on 555 W. Pensacola Street
General Admission Tickets are $50
Valerie Plame is the New York Times bestselling author of Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House. Her book has since been made into a major motion picture starring Sean Penn and Naomi Watts. As a covert CIA Operations Officer, Valerie Plame worked to protect America’s national security. Without warning in 2003, her secret status was revealed to several national journalists by White House and State Department officials. Since her covert identity was compromised, Plame has become a public advocate and respected authority on issues of national security, nuclear proliferation and politics.
Plame released her second book, Blowback, in October 2013; the fictional spy thriller follows Vanessa Pierson, a female covert operative who relies more upon her intellect than high-tech weaponry to gather intelligence. Patrick Anderson of The Washington Post called Blowback “a fine, fast-moving spy saga.” Burned, the next installment in the Vanessa Pierson spy series, is due for release in October.
The Friends of the Library have sponsored projects and expenditures, which extend beyond the command of the normal Library budget, for the past 60 years. We build community interest, pride, and financial support for our local Library programs.
The Friends continue to:
- Acquaint the community with the Leon County Public Library System and stimulate use of its many resources
- Improve and expand the services provided
- Raise money for and encourage gifts to the Library of special or otherwise unaffordable books, programs or equipment
- Provide volunteers to enhance the services provided by the Library staff
- Educate the community on the role a good Library plays in the community
- Provide interesting and informative programs for Library patrons of all ages.